October 9, 2008

For Mary Jane

Twisted and hazy we fell into oblivion,

we found ourselves strung out; on the outskirts

of a town I once knew.

 

Huddled bodies wrapped in cotton shields,

the sand blew over the dunes like tumbleweeds,

twisted and hazy we fell, into oblivion.

 

Sea gulls hung in the air like they were on strings,

street lamps shut off,

in a town I once knew.

 

Our smoke swirled/spiraled/spit from our lips

until the sun stretched over the edge of the ocean,

twisted and hazy, we fell into oblivion.

 

Shops opened with swept sidewalks,

buses hissed and grumbled to life

in a town I once knew.

 

I gather the blanket and paraphernalia,

we walk home twisted and hazy,

we fell into oblivion, in a town I once knew but now

                         know no one.

No comments: